Menin Gate, Ypres
The Menin Gate in Ypres is a magnificent memorial placed across the Menin Road, the road that British and Commonwealth troops would have marched on their way to battle.
Designed by Reginald Blomfield in 1921 and unveiled in 1927, it commemorates the missing who have no known graves. It contains the names of 54,896 Commonwealth soldiers who died on the Ypres Salient. Once completed it was found that it was too small to contain all the names so those missing after August 15th 1917 are commemorated on the nearby Tynecot Memorial nstead (Another 34,984 names) New Zealand and Newfoundland soldiers have separate memorials.
A Last Post ceremony is held at 8pm every evening by buglers from the local fire brigade. and has been since 1927. The only interruption was during WW2 when the town was occupied by the Germans. On the evening that Polish troops liberated Ypres the ceremony was resumed despite heavy fighting still taking place in parts of the town.