During the First World War, the village of Lijssenthoek was situated on the main communication line between the Allied military bases in the rear and the Ypres battlefields. Close to the Front, but out of the extreme range of most German field artillery, it became a natural place to establish casualty clearing stations. The cemetery was first used by the French 15th Hopital D'Evacuation and in June 1915, it began to be used by casualty clearing stations of the Commonwealth forces. From April to August 1918, the casualty clearing stations fell back before the German advance and field ambulances (including a French ambulance) took their places. The cemetery contains 9,901 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and 883 war graves of other nationalities, mostly French and German. It is the second largest Commonwealth cemetery in Belgium.
Interred in this cemetery are 7386 British, Canada 1058; Australia 1131; New Zealand 291; South Africa 29; India 3; Entirely Unidentified 3; Non war casualty 1; USA 3; German 223; France 658. Total Burials: 10,786
One of the interred, Private William Baker, 26th Bn. Royal Fusiliers, executed for desertion 14/08/1918
A Victoria Cross holder, Major Frederick Harold Tubb VC, 7th Bn. Australian Infantry, died of wounds 20th September 1917.